Sharknado (2013) is a made for TV disaster film about a waterborne tornado (known as a "waterspout") caused by 'Hurricane David' which draws numerous sharks of various species out of the ocean and plagues the unsuspecting citizens of Los Angeles with them. Its unexpected success then spawned the Sharknado film series, which currently includes three sequels. First airing on Syfy channel July 11, 2013, it was also given a one night only midnight theatrical screening via Regal Cinemas and NCM Fathom Events, where it took in less than $200,000 in the box office across 200 screenings. The film stars Tara Reid, Ian Ziering, and John Heard.
When a freak hurricane swamps Los Angeles, thousands of sharks terrorize the waterlogged populace, and nature's deadliest killer rules sea, land, and air.
A freak cyclone hits Los Angeles, causing man-eating sharks to be scooped up in water spouts and flood the city with shark-infested seawater. Bar-owner and surfer Fin sets out with his friends, Baz, Nova, and George, to rescue his estranged wife, April, and their teenage daughter, Claudia, after the bar and boardwalk are destroyed in flooding. While heading to April's home, the group stops in a freeway to save people as flooding causes sharks to attack. George is killed and the group learns of a tornado warning. They arrive at April's house just before the first floor is flooded and shark-infested. Collin, April's boyfriend, is eaten by sharks, but the rest of the group escape unharmed.
Fin stops the car to save the children stuck in the bus from the assaulting sharks. Afterwards, the bus driver is killed by the "H" in the Hollywood Sign. While Nova is driving the car, a shark lands on top of the car and rips the roof off. Fin's hand is cut and the group abandons the car before it explodes. They steal another car and meet up with Fin and April's son Matt, who is found taking shelter at his flight school. They borrow equipment from a nearby storage and Matt and Nova become attracted to each other. Matt and Nova decide to stop the threat of the incoming "sharknadoes" by tossing bombs into them from a helicopter. Two are destroyed, but they are unable to stop the third one.
As Nova fights off a shark that had latched onto the helicopter, she falls out of the helicopter and directly into another shark's mouth. Matt is heartbroken. Baz is also lost in the storm along with Matt's friends Bobby and Luellyn. Ultimately, Fin destroys the last sharknado with a bomb attached to his car and the sharks begin to plummet toward the ground. One falling shark flies directly toward the remaining members of the group. Fin jumps into its mouth with a chainsaw and cuts his way out. He emerges carrying an unconscious but otherwise unharmed Nova. Matt is reunited with Nova, and Fin gets back together with April.
- Ian Ziering -as- Finley "Fin" Shepard, an ex-surfer who owns a bar
- Tara Reid -as- April Wexler, Fin's ex-wife
- John Heard -as- George, a drunk man who spends all his time at Fin's bar
- Cassie Scerbo -as- Nova Clarke, a bartender who works for Fin
- Jaason Simmons -as- Baz Hogan, Fin's 'right-hand man'
- Aubrey Peeples -as- Claudia Shepard, April and Fin's daughter
- Chuck Hittinger -as- Matt Shepard, Fin and April's son
- Christopher Wolfe -as- Collin, April's boyfriend
- Robbie Rist -as- Robbie, a bus driver
- Alex Arleo -as- Bobby, one of Matt's friends in flight school
- Connor Weil -as- Luellyn, one of Matt's friends in flight school
- Julie McCullough -as- Jonni Waves, a news reporter
- Adrian Bustamante -as- Kelso, a lifeguard
- Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)
- Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! (2015)
- Sharknado: The 4th Awakens (2016)